Tag Archives: tutorial

Blender test week four (NSFW?)

I think I shouldn’t just put my successes online. But also my failures. Only then can I learn….at least that’s the plan.

I continued where I left off last week. The face needs a body. Oh a heads up. Maybe this is a little bit NSFW. There will be a naked lady. 3D model, yes, but naked non the less.

seighti sitting

As you can see I draw most of my characters from the front, back or from the side. Just like Seighty here. She sits, I draw her from the side.

Because this is easiest. No foreshortening. No weird or difficult perspectives. Just ‘straight forward’, and a little bit boring. Characters seem even more 2D when drawn in this fashion.

Especially when storyboarding an action scene you want to be able to position your hero, or heroine in a dynamic pose. And I’m not a good enough artist to do that successfully.

So the point was to make a model I can manipulate in Blender for the harder positions and camera angles. And maybe rotoscope, or use as reference material.  I started out by drawing a turnaround again. Always start with turnarounds. Front, side and back. This time everything was drawn on the same sheet so there would not be a scale issue.

refpage5

As usual  the character is 7.5 heads tall. I measure my characters in heads. That works the best for me.

The only problem I encountered with this is that you only have 2 of the 3 axes. You have X and Y. But no Z. This means the round shapes are a bit tricky. I noticed when modeling her backside. From the front, back and side the character looked ok. But viewed in 3quarters. She looked like…euh…a bad drawing.

Oh, by the way. What works in 2D doesn’t necessarily work in 3D. In the turnaround her upper body, or breasts, seem normal. After modeling the character, this area was just too much. But you only notice after a while. When working on a detail you tend to overlook the bigger picture.

Here you can see the character as it is right now. I’m still not fully happy with the result. Please don’t mind her shoes too much…or socks. They look more like socks. I kinda lost focus there. I also got a little bit discouraged by her arms. They just didn’t look right. Also her head was an issue. I have rescaled that noggin for at least 10 times.

Just As proof. I did think about her shoes. Sporty army shoes. shoes2

But her shoes just wouldn’t do. And I’m starting to think I went a little overboard with this little exercise. Every day after work I would eat and spent at least 2 hours following tutorials. But my intention was not to make a realistic character. My goal was to make a template for me to use as reference material. A poseable character. Which reminds me; I also rigged the model.

The rig was fairly simple. Even the weightpainting seemed pretty logical. But somehow I kept messing up some of her joints. Instead of compressing the polygons they started to overlap. You can see it in my pictures…the red circles. Well I still have a long way to go…But not right now. I’m going to focus a little bit more on my initial idea. And draw the backgrounds with Blender. And animate the character by hand, with maybe some help of a 3D blender model.

blender test 10

As a proof of concept I made this T-pose in GIMP. I wanted to see what a rotoscoped Seighty could look like. There is something I forgot when making this model. An organic character doesn’t need to be exactly the same shape every time. Drawing inconsistencies give the animation ‘character’.

But to end on a high note…I do think the image has potential…but just not yet. Hope you enjoy!

Advertisements

Blender test week three

This week I wanted to do something more organic. I tried to make my own character – S8i /Seighty-  into a 3D model.

This is the character;  I think I changed her chin, or at least her mouth. Her mouth should be a little bit lower and her chin should be a bit rounder….but I can’t find the picture anymore.

Then a year ago I tried to sculpt the head in Blender. Blender has a really nice sculpt option. A little bit like zbrush…but somewhat less advanced. I’m sure they will expand on the sculptingtools in Blender in upcomming versions.

This time around I tried to model a head, instead of sculpting it. The same head, but a little more organized. I followed a tutorial by blenderella. you can look it up on youtube. So she (the lady giving the tutorial) started out by making a front and side view. She used photo reference, I use drawings. I’m still not going for realism but for a more cartoon look. In the end I want to have a 2D feel to it all.

So above are the drawings I used as a template. front and side view. Somehow the end result doesn’t exactly match the original. But it will do for my first organic modelling test. I started out around the eyes, moved towards the nose bridge..top part of the nose, and worked towards the chin.

After that I compared the head with the original drawings and noticed that her chin was getting too pointy. Too much like an anime character. By now I was following a manga – blender tutorial.

You can see the subtle differences. The chin is somewhat rounder and her ears are bigger. I can honestly say; I hate making ears.

SeightiFace 3d test

Colors/hair and such are painted over using GIMP and SketchBook. That’s where I was last week. Now I’m working on the rest of the body.

Enjoy